The DAILY PROMPT today is asking what makes me unique. Well, isn’t that a loaded question. Right at the moment there are a few things, but I will as instructed narrow it down to six.
1. Lets start at the beginning BIRTH – born North Carolina, USA. Why is that unique? Well it is unique if you grew up in Canada. My Mom had her reasons, I don’t know if they make sense, but she didn’t want me to lose my US Citizenship. That wouldn’t happen today, as I can be both. I am not both because I’m lazy. Whatever. I’ll get to it. It’s ON THE LIST.
2. I am very quiet. I’m shy, reserved, whatever you want to call it. Self-conscious mostly, if I’m honest. Not nearly as much as I used to be. When I was in Grade 9 I came back to visit my old public school and my Grade 8 teacher said he almost didn’t recognize me…I had “come out of my shell”, is how he put it. Mr. Lyons was his name. He died not 6 months or so after that visit. Heart Attack. Great great teacher.
3. I don’t drive. Don’t have a license and have never had one. Never learned. Mom when I was 16 said I couldn’t get my license unless I let Dad teach me to drive. That was NOT going to happen. Dad and I back than fought tooth and nail. He disgusted me and I think I confused him. He once asked Mom “what had happened to her” when I was 15 years old…she said she peed her pants she laughed so hard.
4. I’ve always been told I look “Black Irish”. I’m really not completely certain what they mean by that, usually something about my hair – the colour maybe, my colouring generally? It’s normally a hair dresser who has told me that.
5. When I was working for a Call Centre I had a customer once ask me where I was from. I told him, Canada. He said, “REALLY?”. I than told him I was born in North Carolina and lived there till I was 2 1/2 years old. He said “AH, that’s it. I’m a linguist and I could hear a touch of something in your accent, but I couldn’t place it”. When I have too much to drink it apparently comes out a bit, or so I’ve been told.
AND, the 6th unique quality that would stand out to a stranger would probably be my big blue eyes. I’ve heard that for as long as I can remember. When I am unhappy they go a sky blue. When I’m angry they go gray.